Thai Visa

Visa for Thailand

how to Bangkok

Thai Visa

You wish to visit Thailand only a couple of weeks/days or stay longer, several types and requirements to apply for a Thai visa, from tourist, business, student, volunteer, work, retirement and the latest since February 2018 the Smart visa.


Please keep in mind the date you have to leave the country. Overstay is strongly discouraged, immigration officers do not like it at all and can make you pay a heavy fine and compromise your future visits to the country or even other destinations.

A fine of 500 baht/day and 20,000 baht if you exceed 40 days plus the price of the visa. For more than 200 days you risk a prison sentence. It is therefore preferable, even for a single day to go to the nearest immigration office, in general, the officers understand (much more than those at the borders) if you are trying to act to make your visa in order with the rules.

A Black Listing was created in March 2016 for Adult age 18 years+. Below 15 years will no pay overstay but from 15 to 18 will be charged but not Blacklisted. It is not possible to remove yourself from the blacklist, you can appeal only after 5 years.


The Form TM30 is required by immigration to ensure transparency in the details of accommodation for foreigners visiting, living or working in Thailand. If you simply come on holiday and stay in a hotel, you won’t have to worry. This applies only to the following persons:

Those staying with a Thai friend, condominiums or private apartments, who have an annual retirement visa, researchers and students, and work permit holders are all required to register each time they enter Thailand.

If not reported within 24 hours, a fine of 800 to 2,000 baht may be imposed on the owner of the property or the tenant of the lease.

Without a Visa 30-Day Stay

No fee but you will need to present a flight back ticket or any other destination, a bus/train reservation to one of the neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia) is acceptable, and an amount of 20,000 baht to cover your needs, 40,000 for a family.

Be aware: You can enter Thailand on a land border only two times a year without having a visa.

Nationalities Who can Enter for a Stay of 30 Days and 2 Entries of 30 Days by Land 2 Times/Year

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Brazil, Brunei, Belgium, Canada, Czech, Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia(unlimited), Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Slovak, Slovenia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, USA and Vietnam.

You can get an extension of 7 days at an immigration office

Countries With a 15 Days Visa on Arrival But Not at a Land Border

You will be asked to provide either a return flight or a bus/train reservation to one of the neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia) and an amount of 10,000 baht to cover your needs.

Andorra, Bhutan, Bulgaria, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

For tourism purposes, tourists from Brunei, Indonesia, and Singapore, Malaysian benefit from unlimited access to land borders.

– Croatian citizen must apply for a visa in advance from the embassy

These Countries Have a Bilateral Agreement for a 90-Day Stay

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Korea, inland and airport

Where is the Immigration Office in Bangkok?

The immigration office is quite far from the city center no MRT, BTS. The fastest and cheapest option is to go to Mo Chit by MRT and then take the bus no. 52 or a taxi. Around 120 baht.

Address. Soi 7 Chaeng Wattana Road, south zone. Monday to Friday from 8:30 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 16:30

It is a very busy place especially in the morning, it is preferable to go there at 14.00

Documents to Provide for a Visa Extension

Your address in Thailand with “Receipt Of Notification” called TM30 registration. Ask your hotel, guest house, apartment or Airbnb a photocopy of this document. A copy of your passport, visa, and departure card (TM6) and 2 passport photos, and don’t forget to bring a pen. Photocopies can be made at the immigration office.

I recommend that you always carry a copy of your passport, visa and departure card.

This can happen, either stolen or lost, so it is strongly recommended to have a digital copy of your passport. will facilitate the process of obtaining a replacement document.

Tourist Visa

Valid 3 months after the filing date. Duration 60 days from the date of arrival in Thailand. It can be extended by 30 days at the Immigration office for 1900 baht

  • A valid passport for 6 months minimum from the date of departure and a photocopy.
  • A recent identity photo 4x6cm in color
  • Form completed
  • A photocopy of the return air ticket reservation
  • Bank statement 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family

In some case, they can ask for a copy of a recent bank statement with an amount of 1000 € minimum

Cost around 40 US$ payment in cash

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa

Validity of the visa is six months, the duration of stay is sixty days per visit, can be extended to another 30 days at an immigration office, after this period of stay you will have to leave the country, and when you come back in, you will get a visa for another 60 days (can be extended to another 30 days), then you will have to leave the country.

This type of visa can apply only outside Thailand, in your home country

  • A completed application form and 2 passport photos
  • This type of visa can apply only outside Thailand, in your home country need to provide a certificate of employment or a document if you are a self/employed
  • Proof of address, and for non-residents a photocopy of residence permit
  • A confirmed reservation of the hotels for the first stay
  • The last six-month bank statement with a credit balance of 5000 US$ for each month and 7000 for a family

Some embassy could request your flight itineraries but a bus or train travel is acceptable

Embassy officials at the discretion to request additional documents and may reject a visa application. The requirements are also different depending on age and nationality.

Cost around 200 US$

Non-Immigrant Visa O

For a period of 90 days and only one entry. If you leave the country during this period you will have to ask for a re-entry permit at the immigration. You could extend it or apply for a work permit when you are in Thailand at any immigration office. This type of visa allows opening a bank account but not allow working. This visa is for people Participating in a humanitarian mission/volunteer or people over 50 years old to stay 3 months and wish to apply for 1-year retirement OA visa. or marriage. Persons accompanying a person holding an OA, B or ED visa, spouse or wife/child under 20 years old /parent.

People having a Thai family, husband or wife/mother of a Thai child under 20 years of age. Thailand does not recognize union through a civil solidarity pact or same-sex marriage.

Family visa. Besides your passport photos and completed form, these documents are required

  • Copy of Marriage Certificate, Passport and identity card of your Thai spouse (Copies of documents must be signed by the Thai Spouse) or Copy of birth certificate of your Thai child
  • A letter from the spouse
  • Bank statement with a minimum credit balance of 13.000 US$ (statement printed on the Internet must be signed and stamped by the bank)
  • photocopy of the flight ticket

Fee US$ 80 cash only

Non-immigrant visa Notice re-entry permit and 90 days Notification of residence






Marriage Visa

Documents to be provided for the Non-Immigrant visa O Marriage

  • a copy of the marriage certificate
  • a copy of the Thai spouse’s identity card copy of his/her ” tabian baan” (Thai house book and the official address of the house or apartment issued by the local government and the residents’ registration booklet)
  • a copy of your bank statement (bank account in Thailand) or proof of your income.If there are children, birth certificates and copies of their ID’s
  • 2 passport photos

visa fees THB 2,000

After obtaining the visa O, go to the immigration office of the city where you reside and apply for a family visa. This request can only be made 45 days before your visa expires.

Required documents provided in 2 signed copies

  • the TM7 form filled in with a passport photo
  • a copy of the Thai spouse’s identity card and a copy of his or her tabian baan 
  • a bank certificate of less than 2 months attesting at least 400,000 baht on a Thai account in your name (specify to the bank that it is for a visa application to have the right document (100 baht) or an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month to cover expenses for one year. (the simplest is often a letter from the embassy or consulate.)

*Visa rule changes in 2018 was the change in Embassy protocol for issuing proof of income letters for expats. The American, Australian & British Embassies have now stopped issuing these letters.

  • Copies of the pages of your updated bank book
  • a history of your account issued by the bank (100 THB)
  • your TM.30 (proof of your address)
  • copies of your passport, main page and all pages with Thai visa stamps
  • 2 photos of the couple, 1 in front of the house and 1 in the house
  • if you are a tenant, present your rental contract and a copy of the owner’s identity card and the tabian baan
  • the form for acknowledgment of the rules of overstay
  • a drawn map of the area with the location of your home

However, everything does not stop there, you will have to go to immigration where you will meet an officer in charge of checking that your file is complete. You will then have a “temporary” visa and you will then have to wait about 20 to 30 days. During this time it is possible that you may have the visit of agents (my friend got one) to check that you are really in a relationship. The neighbors will also certainly be interviewed. You will have to make a new visit to immigration again on the date indicated to you to hear their decision.

If these steps can be “boring” you can hire a lawyer who will take care of the whole procedure.

You are required to the 90 days notification and if you leave the country to apply for a re-entry permit each time before leaving Thailand.

Non-Immigrant “OA” Retirement Visa

This Visa is for retired people over 50 years old who wish to stay in Thailand for 1 year with multiple entries, if you don’t have any plan to leave the country you can apply for one entry and you can ask a re-entry permit at the immigration office, 1000 baht. This visa does not allow you working. For extension, no need to leave the country can be done at the immigration office. This type of visa can apply only outside Thailand, in your home country (in Thailand as well) and have to send a copy of the pages of your passport and visas or go to the immigration office for the 90 days notification of residence.

Documents to Provide

  • A personal data form.
  • The passport must be valid for at least 18 months
  • 3 copies of the completed visa application forms
  • 3 passport photos (4 x 6 cm) taken in the last six months
  • A personal data form
  • A criminal record certificate valid for 3 months and issued by the embassy or consulate
  • A medical certificate authenticated by the embassy or consulate

The last copy of your bank account statement with a deposit of 800,000 baht, or the original copy of the monthly income certificate guaranteeing of 65,000 Baht. If a bank statement is submitted, a letter of guarantee from the bank is required valid for 3 months issued by the embassy or consulate.

Visa renewal, the 800,000 baht must be kept in a Thai bank two months before the application, and three months after, and then a balance of 400,000 baht must remain permanently.

The spouse cannot apply for an “O-A” category visa, however, the marriage certificate must be authenticated at the embassy or consulate and she/he will be considered for a temporary stay, visa O

Fee 5000 Baht for multiple entries

Single entry 1000 baht

Non-immigranI B

A 90 days visa for people who are going to set up or doing business, attend a conference, or to seek work in Thailand. Only one entry can be extended for 7 days. Besides all your documents you could be asked to present an invitation or a confirmation letter to justify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization.

A holder of a Non-Immigrant visa can work only once the work permit is being granted.

Fee around 65 US$


For immigrants who want working in Thailand should apply from their home country for a 90-Day visa Non-Immigrant B. Documents are provided by the Thai employer, and an application for a work permit must be made to the employment department during this period. After obtaining a work visa, apply for a one-year non-immigrant B. This can be a long stressful and “laborious” procedure.


  • University degree or similar certificate of study
  • Records of University transcript
  • Certificate of Employment and Clearance. The application for a work permit may require certificates from previous employers, depending on the applicant’s employment history.
  • A curriculum vitae clearly detailing the candidate’s professional background.

Mobile Work Permit app “single window”

Introduced for the first time last year for foreign expatriates, the Digital Work Permit for smartphones application, which allows submitting applications for a work permit, has been extended to migrant workers. Foreign employees must first obtain a username and password from three work permit issuing centers, which are BoI’s branch in Chamchuri Square in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. They can then after receiving their details submit a request via the app.

90 Days Notification

All foreigners staying in Thailand for more than 90 days with a non-immigrant visa or an extension of stay must declare their current address every 90 days. Also, you will have to report every 90-day to any Thai Immigration office, or send it by registered mail or by online notification, but I recommend for your first report to go there yourself.

The required documents:

  • Copy of all pages of the passport and the last visa of your arrival in Thailand as well as the last stamp.
  • Copy of the TM arrival/departure card. 6 (2 sides)
  • Previous notices of stay of more than 90 days (if any)
  • complete and sign the TM 47 Form of notification
  • One envelope with 5 Baht stamped and return address, the lower part of the TM47 form will be returned to you. Keep this part for reference and future notifications.

These documents must be sent to this address, keeping in mind that they must arrive 7 days before the end of your 90-day period:



Government Complex Building B



No need to leave the country, the renewal of this visa can be done at an immigration office.


  • Certified degree and transcript from a 4-year college
  • A TOEIC score of 600+ or IELTS score of 5+ if you’re from a non-native speaking country
  • Non-Immigrant ‘B’ Visa, a Work Permit

Supporting documentation such as an extract from the criminal record (less than 3 months old) medical certificates and more, depending on the official.

It is usually the schools that take care of the administration and paperwork for you.

This website is yours, and this one is worth to visit 

Non-immigrant Student Visa ED

Studying in Thailand is not only to learn Thai but many other subjects such as cooking, scuba diving, Thai boxing. This visa allows foreigners to study at a university or other similar institution. take observation tours, to do internships in companies, to participate in conferences as well as to study Buddhism as a monk. The application for this visa must be made at the Thai embassy or consulate in your country. This visa will only be granted to you after you have received the letter of acceptance from the university. The student visa is valid for 3 months and once in Thailand, you should go to the immigration office to extend it by one year. This visa allows you to have a driving license, open a bank account and Thai health insurance, you will also be provided a student ID by the school.

Required documents

  • Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months
  • Completed visa application form
  • Recent photos (4 x 6 cm.)
  • an extract from your criminal record
  • Letter of recommendation to the consulate letter of acceptance from the relevant academic institute/organization
  • the timetable of the courses (4 hours per day and 5 days per week)

If you wish to study in a private institution, an official letter from the Thai Ministry of Education, or other relevant sub-authorities, approving the enrollment of foreign students, as well as a copy of the enrollment certificate from the university concerned.

  • Academic record and student card (if you are a student)
  • A bank deposit of 25,000 US$ to be presented in the form of a recent bank certificate (original)

The persons wishing to attend a seminar, training or internship are also required to send a letter of recommendation to the consulate from the organization concerned.

Learning Thai

One of the best ways to stay several months in Thailand is to learn Thai in a school which should be registered by the ministry of education, the school knows the documents required. This type of visa can apply only outside Thailand, in your home country have to study at least 8 hours a week and lessons to do at home, at a cost of 20 to 35000 baht/year. Be careful, when you renew your visa (90 days and 1,900 baht) the immigration officer may try to ”trap” you by testing you on your progress in the Thai language.

Many choose to come first to Thailand and as a tourist and then go to a Thai consulate either in Vientiane or Penang

Choose a course and register at the school chosen, photocopy of your passports and 12 photos

Pay the fee (50%?) then the school will send all the documents to the ministry of education. If approved you will have to go to apply to a Thai embassy/consulate abroad with all the documents for a no-immigrant ED visa. Back to Thailand, you will get 90 days stamp and then you are on your way to visit the immigration office for an extension every three months.

Documents Request

University degree or similar certificate of study

University transcript

A Certificate of Employment and Release. The application for a work permit may require certificates from previous employers, depending on the applicant’s employment history.

A curriculum vitae clearly describing the candidate’s professional background.

Language schools considered among the best in Bangkok. dukelanguage, rtl-schoolauathaiprolanguagethai-lessonssumaa

For serious students, one of the most prestigious academies in Thailand

Non-Immigrant « O-X » (Long Stay)

A new system which, was approved In 2016, by the government for people over 50 years old of 14 nationalities allowed to stay in the country for 10 years. This visa can be applied to the immigration office.

Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada, and the USA.

Financial Conditions

  • 3 million baht in a Thai bank account
  • Bank account or a Thai bank account with 1.8 million Bahts and have annual revenues of 1.2 million Baht. This money must be spent in Thailand.

In addition, must have Thai medical insurance that covers their medical expenses over 40,000 Baht for outpatients and 400,000 Bahts for hospitalized patients.

Fee 10,000 baht

Permanent Resident Visa

You have been living in Thailand for 3 years with a non-immigrant visa. You support your Thai citizen wife or be the parent of a Thai child. Have a work permit for three years married with a Thai and a monthly salary of 40,000 baht, if not 80,000 for two years, working for 1 year in the same company and paying your income taxes. You invested 3 to 10 million baht in a limited or public company. You can apply at the immigration office with supporting documents in Thai. you will also past a test of Thai, written and speaking. After ten years on a Thai permanent residence, the visa allows you to apply to become a Thai citizen.

Fee application 7,600 baht and 95,700 baht if you married with a Thai,  191,000 baht if you are not

Smart Visa

A new addition to the long list of visas, the SMART visa. Born on February 1, 2018, to encourage highly skilled foreigners to come working or invest in Thailand.

Divided into 4 categories of people eligible for the SMART visa

  1. Expert
  2. Investor
  3. Senior executive management
  4. Start-ups

And in the following industrial activities

  • Automation and Robotics
  • Next-Generation Automotive
  • Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism
  • Agriculture and biotechnology
  • Food of the future
  • Smart Electronics
  • Aviation and logistics
  • Biofuels and biochemical
  • digital
  • Medical Hub

Is this visa for you?

Be careful is no digital nomad visa for Thailand! and there will ever be one. Some sites that claim that there is delivery this type of visa, just ignore these companies.

Volunteer in Thailand

There are many projects in Thailand for which it is possible to support disadvantaged populations throughout the country. The most common are orphanages, which however do not have a good reputation, it is better to be seriously informed before committing to these projects.

The lack of staff in hospitals and clinics makes it possible to find missions in the health field, which may be of interest to medical or nursing students. Volunteers will be assigned according to their qualifications to help doctors and nurses but also may be asked to participate in foresight and other campaigns.


I think the most popular is elephant care and we can understand why

Volunteers will work with local staff to care for some rescued elephants. Not a day will ever be the same in the tasks to be accomplished

  • Feeding and providing water to elephants
  • Help with cleaning the housings
  • Lie down and clean the elephants
  • Harvesting and collecting food from local farms – pineapples, bananas, etc.
  • The maintenance of the pens.

Just two examples of what can be done on a voluntary basis in this country. Discover more here

Which Visa?

No need to have a work permit, but a non-immigrant Visa O is required

  • Passport (and a photocopy), valid 6 months minimum from the date of departure
  • Completed form
  • Color passport photo,

A professional letter or a letter of invitation from the host organization together with a photocopy of the identity document of the person authorized to sign this document with the mention “copy in conformity with the original”.

  • Photocopy of the host organization’s license

A recent bank statement, with a minimum credit balance of 6000 US$ (the copy of the bank statement printed on the Internet must be signed and stamped by the bank)

  • photocopy of the flight ticket booking with details

Fee around 80 US$

Only Issued in Chiang Mai, the self-defense visa

It allows you to stay for one year and is subject to the 90-day immigration report. No test is necessary, the courses consist of learning to protect yourself and also to use a firearm. This visa is managed by the military police, which is a good thing. However, since September 2018, Immigration has been visiting the school, and the owners have informed the students that it may not be possible to extend the visa if they do not attend the courses. Rumors are that this visa may not be available in 2019.

The cost is not very high, 33,000 baht/year

Elite Visa

12-month visa stay but still required to make the 90 days report and if you plan to stay longer than 12 months do a stay extension (Immigration Fee of 1,900 Baht)

Personal assistant at the airport for all immigration formalities and a private limousine to your place.

For 2 million baht you get a 20 years visa renewable. Annual fee 20,000 baht. Not less than 20 years


Best Spa, Golf, boxing…

Hospital. Annual health check-up

Shopping discount in high-end commercial centers

Bangkok bank special privileges

10 years 1,000.000 baht, visa renewable, any age

For 500,000 baht a visa elite easy access of 5 years validity, any age

Read more 

E-visa for Chinese

On 15 February 2019 in Beijing, the consular service will launch the e-visa. China is the first country to benefit from this new service, and will be extended to the country’s major cities and then to other countries and cities around the world over a three-year period.

The Race to the Visas (visa run)

Visa run is a trip to one of Thailand’s neighboring countries, either for an extension of 30 days (Cambodian border if you stay in Bangkok) or a visa application in an embassy/consulate, most often Laos and Malaysia. Some will tell you that this is one of the most exciting parts of a stay in Thailand, but with every trip, there will always be the fear of being refused an extension if your passport is filled with Thai visa, and It may indeed be that you have to answer some questions depending on the immigration officer.

Good to know

Many rumors (fake news) on the Internet on this subject, I advise you to visit one of the better information pages where you can get some response to your questions

To make it easy you can apply for some of these visas through an agency/lawyer which will take care of everything but will cost you more than if you do it yourself

For the immigration officers the rules are the rules and you better never ask ‘why’ when talking to any government official, but ‘how’

Thai people, especially the authorities, do not like foreigners with a “neglect” aspect very much and it is better to go to immigration well-dressed, a proper short/long pan and a clean shirt or t-shirt will be appreciated

For many reasons the rules and the visa processes are subject to sudden changes by the Immigration

Understudy by the authorities but not finalized. Single entry visas could benefit from a double-entry visa. The intention is to encourage tourists who visit other ASEAN countries during their holidays to return to Thailand.

Given the number of accidents involving tourists, it is envisaged that the Thai authorities will introduce mandatory travel insurance presumably this year or at the latest next year. To follow.

Good luck

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *